25 August 2022
12:30 - 13:30
A new series of lively panel debates bringing together NHS IT leaders from across Digital Health Networks to independently debate key national NHS digital and data topics.
Questions will be canvassed in advance from across the Digital Health networks community, and each debate will be written up as a discussion paper to be published on digitalhealth.net.
The first of the new monthly Digital Health Networks Debate Series will explore the planned new Federated Data Platform. The proposed new £350m data platform currently being procured is intended to link numerous local data sets to provide a national capability for better planning of care, pandemic response, population health management and integrated care. The project is sensitive due to failed past attempts to develop centralised NHS data assets, most notably Care. Data and GP Data Extraction Service, which have failed to win public confidence about how their data will be protected and used. The FDR procurement has also attracted negative press coverage due to the perceived preferential status given to incumbent supplier Palantir.
In this initial Digital Health Networks Debate elected members of the Networks will be joined by experienced Network members to debate the key issues and recommend steps to make the FDR programme a success.
Members of the Networks are invited to join the discussion in advance on Discourse and take part in the debate which will include online voting and Q&A.
Topics to be covered
- What do we know about the Federated Data Platform so far?
- What are the potential benefits to patients of a national data platform?
- What are the potential dangers to patients of a national data platform?
- What is the optimum relationship between local and national on data?
- Chair: Dr Paul Jones, CDIO, Leeds University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust & Vice-chair, CIO AP
- Dr Jorge Cardoso, CTO, London Medical Imaging and AI Centre for Value-based Healthcare
- Ming Tang, Chief Data and Analytics Officer, NHS E&I
- Shauna McMahon, CIO Northern Lincolnshire & Goole NHS FT and Hull University Teaching Hospital NHS Trust
- Dr Susheel Varma, Head of AI & Data Science, Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
- Will Brailsford, Advanced Intelligence Analyst, Collaborative Health Intelligence Service (CHIS)
This programme of events is only open to our Network Members which include, digital health leaders from across the NHS, public sector, charitable sectors, academia, and our Network Sponsors.